Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Uncle Father Joe...They Don't Make Em Like This Guy


When you first look at this picture, you could assume that this post will be about me earning my doctorate. In actuality, it’s about the man standing beside me through it all. My Uncle Joe is the best father a nephew could have. He’s taught me so much about myself and what a man is suppose to be.


Tiffany always - literally always, tells me, “You need to be more like Uncle Joe.” My response is always the same. “Girl, they don’t make ‘em like Uncle Joe anymore.” I say that in jest; however, there’s a lot of seriousness to that.


Joe, was my Dad’s best friend. They could almost finish each other’s sentences. He’s one of the most reliable people you could ever meet. He’s family centered and just flat out cool. There’s no job too small or too big for Joe. Whether it’s cutting branches from trees, picking up any of his great nieces and nephews and taking them somewhere. Driving from Louisville to ANYWHERE at a moments notice, Joe will do it.


When I told Joe I was getting married, I will never forget what he said. He said. “ Shhheeeeeeeeiiittt son. I’m happy for you. But remember after you say I do, remember to say I love you everyday. And most important, the words that are better and safer than I love you are … Yes Dear. No matter what is asked of you, just say. Yes Dear.” I haven’t mastered that one yet, but it’s clear, that when I do, things will be smoother sailing. I am sure Tiff will agree.


I’ve dedicated my dissertation to my Uncle (Father) Joe. This degree and others do not compare to his smarts, wisdom, and understanding of how this crazy world works.


So I am proud to announce that I am Dr. Marshall. I am even more proud to say that Joe Lewis Harlan is my Uncle. He’s a big  reason I’m here. They don’t make them like this guy.

4 comments:

  1. Awww you need to write Yes Dear a 1000x!! Such a blessing to have role models like Uncle Joe. Memories to last a lifetime!! Congrats again Dr. Marshall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad is definitely one in a million. I'm going to make sure he sees this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Joe probably doesn't remember me, but I definitely remember him well. I got emotional reading this because it's just a reminder that no matter how old we get, we need our parents (and those that stand in for them) in our lives. The bond you two share is certainly something special. Merry Christmas to all of you and CONGRATULATIONS (again) on earning that doctorate!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UNC is the man. Very cool cat. True definition of mainstay.

    ReplyDelete